Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hunting story #5--A Blast from the Past or Delilah I Ain't

There are still new things I am discovering about the STP after 30 years of marriage.  This hunting season I heard two stories from his childhood that I had never heard before. Most of his stories I have heard over and over again.  But evidently these two are reserved for sharing with hunting buddies while walking up and down hills rather than the woman you have been sleeping with for 30 years. 
One story involved a bank his Great Grandmother had put coins into while his mom was pregnant with him.  He still has a few of those coins.  He told me he had never told me this one before because he didn't want me to marry him or stay with him for his money. Yeah, good thing I didn't know about that Indian head nickel.  (Anyway, he should know by now that it's his good looks that keep me around.)
The other story involved rabbit hunting when his father shot the dog for not hunting up to expectations.  I accused the STP of making this story up.  Maybe he had his childhood confused with a movie he saw once.  Was the dog's name 'Yellar'?  But he says you don't ever forget something like that.  I'm not sure you ever get over it either.  If he had told me this before we were married, I might not have married him.  I certainly would have thought twice before birthing any babies with him. 

So today I am thankful for
81. my dad, who has been married to my mom for over 50 of his 70 something years and who never shot the dog. 
(Although, now that I think about it, I'm not sure what ever happened to either Happy or Jeanie.)

3 comments:

nancyann said...

Actually, I think he did shoot the neighbor's dog; Snowball. Maybe that is why Paul mowed the grass on your wedding day!

Miss Brenda said...

Is that true? I mean the part about the dog. I remember the wedding day.

the indiansandpirates said...

Only slightly related - today was "hunter's sunday" at church. Nearly everyone was in head-to-toe camo, as though we were actually a small rural militia instead of a Jesus-loving church...