Monday, November 08, 2010

Oh My (Bountiful) Goodness

I was away this weekend when the bountiful basket arrived, so the STP picked it up, sent me a picture of all my wonderful produce on the counter, and then put it away in the refrigerator.  So it was like Christmas-getting wonderful surprise things; and like Easter, where you have to look for your basket like it's some kind of treasure hunt.  So far in my fridge I've found eggplant, and mushrooms, and collard greens (otherwise known in our house as compost greens), and green beans, and cauliflower, and zucchini (are you out of your mind?), and these:
Any guesses?

The STP reported they were persimmons.  So we googled some recipes.  Evidently people native to the state of Indiana use the pulp of persimmons to make puddings and cakes around Thanksgiving time.  One site suggested you could squeeze them through a laundry bag to extract the pulp.  There were just enough pictures to convince the STP and I that we may not need any persimmon pudding this Thanksgiving, thank you very much.  But just as I was about to scald my little persimmons anyway, I noticed this:

Maybe these were not in fact persimmons.  Maybe they were FUYUs.  So I went back to Google.  And I discovered that there are two types of persimmons.  The kind you boil and squeeze through a laundry bag to remove the annoying seeds and mix along with 13 other ingredients into a pudding which you steam in the oven for two hours while you stir it every 15 minutes and serve it with brandy flavored whipped cream,  AND FUYU persimmons which are seedless and which you peel and slice like an apple and serve with little tooth picks.  (I am not even making any of this up.)  And my bountiful basket came with the FUYU kind of persimmons. How good is that?  I prepared one just like the recipe:

And then I adapted the recipe for less formal occasions by eliminating both the little toothpicks and the little plate.

And for serving to real men during Monday Night Football might I suggest just eating it right off the knife.

This concludes this segment of Ms Brenda Cooks FUYU.

No comments: