Thursday, November 05, 2015

Before and After or Happy Landing

The little landing at the house next door.  Along with the steps to the basement this was covered with carpet when we bought the house.  We left the carpet in place until the basement remodel was done.  And then we just cleaned it off and called it good.  

Except it wasn't.




The very first thing I pinned on The House Next Door board was a painted floor.  I thought I would have to paint the front porch floor, but it sanded off so well that we just resealed it.  But I never gave up the idea of a painted floor.










The steps above the landing still had linoleum on them, covered with some sort of adhesive.  The steps below the landing were wooden and I repainted them earlier.  The little landing was wood, covered with varying amounts of paint, old linoleum, and sticky black stuff.
After several weeks of sanding and scraping, planning and painting in spurts fit between my work schedule and the need to go up and down the steps, this is what I ended up with.  All done with supplies that I already had. Total cost?  $4.95 for sealing wax for the linoleum left on the steps. (And one 6 round paint brush)
Total return?  A happy little welcome everytime the downstairs tenants come home and a little spot of happy for the upstairs tenants when they go and come from the laundry room.  For me-- three weeks of happy--designing and painting. Seeing an idea become reality. Transformation.  It's what this HND project is about.



Happy
Happy
Happy

3 comments:

Miss Brenda said...

Minnie-This is for you. Love you.

Amanda said...

YES on the dots for the brown swirls - its just what they needed. makes me wish I had a floor to paint...

Minnie said...

Thanks for this post-Love that you are doing these wonderful things next door. So when are you just going to move over there? Love you!