Saturday, June 06, 2009

The Lilac Festival and the Not So Cookie Queen

As part of our Experience Wyoming Summer, we have decided to partake of local culture. So last night we went to see Star Trek on the biggest theatre screen in the state. Yes, if you are counting, that is the third time we have seen the movie. We will not see it again before it comes out for home entertainment. (Unless it happens to show up at the almost local Drive-in Theater before then. The drive-in experience is, after all, a cultural experience par none.) Must say I enjoyed the movie again. Need to get me some of those salt shakers shaped like the Enterprise. (If you don't know what salt shakers I am talking about, you should see the movie again and pay particular attention to the IOWA scenes.)
Ah, yes. The Lilac Festival. Evidently, the town just south of Dodge City is the Lilac Capital OF THE WORLD! And today was the annual lilac festival. Where they crown the Lilac Queeen. And choose the Lilac Baby. So the STP, the Boog, and I went. And we participated. Because, after all, this is Experience Wyoming Summer, not Observe Wyoming Summer. For his part the STP ate a grape flavored (lilac-colored) snowcone and worked the crowd. The Boog ate cotton candy, and played games (all sorts). And I...(wait for it)...entered the Cookie Baking Contest. Yes I did. I talked the Head Teller from Dodge City Federal into entering the contest also. I baked Gobs and she baked Gingersnaps. I thought the novelty factor might work in my favor, since very few people west of the Missisippi have eaten a Gob. I wondered if I should call them Whoopie Pies. But I was afraid if I won, the headline might read, "Local Pastor's Wife Makes Whoopie...story continued on page two." So, the Head Teller won second place with her gingersnaps, and I won nothing. My bad. I forgot about playing to my audience. I'm thinking that next year I will make Cowboy Cookies.
Next week is the Days of '49 Festival right here in Dodge City. I don't know exactly how I will participate, but it will NOT be any rodeo events.
So much culture--so little summer.

No comments: