Tuesday, June 09, 2009

My First Book

I finished 'A Girl Named Zippy' in one rather long, slightly interrupted sitting last evening. A very enjoyable read which made me wonder as I fell asleep what a book about my childhood would be like. And I woke up thinking that it would be mostly about my mother. And by the time I crawled out of bed, I had outlined several chapters in my head. And I had the title. It would be called 'Almost Grace'. There would be a chapter about Grace and Sports. Grace Before Meals. Grace and the Sewing Machine. The Grace School of Compassion. Grace Speaks Her Mind. Grace's Favorites. Grace and Beauty. Grace and Education. Grace and Technology. There are 2 things that keep me from starting to actually write the book. First, my mother is very much alive and even though she is not an avid reader and she would never read anything I wrote on the computer, she does have an uncanny way of finding things out. Secondly, I have 4 children of my own and I don't want them getting any ideas.
But I think we may need a 'sister's weekend' to further my research. Maybe if was a collaborative effort Grace wouldn't be upset with just me. Is it possible to share the bottom spot on the list?

10 comments:

Miss Brenda said...

Oh, and one more chapter: Grace Tells A Joke

Unknown said...

Rectum heck, it darn near killed him

nancyann said...

Who is Lil'chickie?

Miss Brenda said...

Obviously someone who knows us better than I thought.

Uncle M said...

Square D - The Donald Lane Story

1. Speling
2. Cardboard
3. The Misplaced Punchline
4. Accidents Don't Happen...And Other Basic Truths
5. Oven-Broiled, Open-Faced Sandwich (or Baked Eggs, or There Is No Such Thing As A Rotten Banana)
6. Remedial Plumbing
7. Keep Your Bearings

Minnie said...

Grace Smokes A Cigar

Minnie said...

When and where for the sister's weekend??

Miss Brenda said...

Can I be Contributing editor to the Square D book? Cause I won't be able to wait until it comes out in bookstores.

nancyann said...

8. Life is not fair! Maybe that's one of those other basic truths.

Anastasia said...

GRACE smoked a CIGAR!!??