Monday, August 25, 2008

Walk-ins Welcome


I just finished reading "The Zookeeper's Wife." (Time to read--the luxury of not having a 'real' life.) It is set in Poland during World War II. Some intriquing quotes about those who risked their lives and the lives of their families to rescue and hide others.

Rescuers tended to be decisive, fast-thinking, risk-taking, independent, adventurous, open-hearted, rebellious, and unusually flexible--able to switch plans, abandon habits, or change ingrained routines at a moments notice. They tended to be nonconformists, and though many rescuers held solemn principles worth dying for, they did not regard themselves as heroic. "We did it because it was the right thing to do."

It makes me question whether I would be one of those people. I would hope so. Certainly I want to believe I would. It haunts me to think that I might be more apt to hide in my own closet than hide someone else there. Not that I would wish you ill, or rat you out. I just might not invite you in.

"(They) were not just idealists but activists, and activists are, by nature, people who know people."

So I'm seeing myself more as an idealist and less of an activist. But I find myself in a new place. With a huge walk-in closet that I didn't think I really needed. And a part time job at the bank(!?) that I have no qualifications for. So clearly God has something in mind for me. Let's hope I'm adventurous enough to grab hold of it.

(I was kind of hoping that this was the point in my life where I just fly-fished and took it easy.)

1 comment:

Abi said...

Remember when we used to sleep in the closet?