Sunday, August 24, 2008

Wyoming Fly-fishing Trivia

Had some people over for banana splits last night. Found out this little bit of trivia. (I am having a hard time knowing when people are telling me the truth or just messing with me. I googled this to verify.)
In 1878, Thomas Edison was camping in Wyoming when someone accidently knocked a bamboo fishing pole into a campfire. He noticed its resistance to burning. When he went back to his lab in New Jersey, he proceeded to produce millions and millions of light bulbs with bamboo filaments, until he got the bright idea that tungsten worked even better.
Who knew?
Once someone I know accidently knocked a fishing pole over the side of a boat in Pennsylvania. I don't think we discovered anything except how kind and forgiving the owner of the pole was.

1 comment:

Rick said...

Never knew that either - or that Wyoming had a part in bringing us into the industrial age.

Your comment at the last was funny.

(Just happened to be surfing through - thanks for sharing.)

http://www.organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/