Saturday, January 08, 2011

Deli Purchases Put to Good Use

Dear Italian SIL,  Please do not read this post.  It will be too traumatic for you.

Last evening I cooked.  I zested a lemon and pressed a garlic clove and caramelized some onions.  I made my own lemon vinaigrette.  I used my goat cheese and my prosciutto. And some EVOO.  I felt pretty much like an Italian chef.  I practiced saying Mootserell.  I started with appetizers.  
Of course, I didn't follow the recipe exactly.  I could not find fig jam in Dodge City. (I briefly considered making my own.  After all, a woman who can zest a lemon could surely jam a fig or two.) So I substituted red plum jam.  And I couldn't find arugula.  So I used Romaine lettuce in it's place.And in the end I had wonderful little appetizers. 
I had three of them.  For people with little appetites. 
 And since none of the three people eating here was remotely Italian, nor remotely interested in little appetizers, it was all good. 

And then I used the rest of my goat cheese and the rest of my prosciutto and a boatload of mootserell and made a gluten free calzone.  Which was stellar, if I must say so myself.

I used my Pampered Chef Pastry brush to apply the EVOO.
 All I need now is my Italian SIL to tell me if EVOO is pronounceable.

1 comment:

Abi said...

The pesto we had last time was great. That plus this effort, you don't have to worry about my approval!

-SIL