Monday, January 17, 2011

My Wish

I grew up listening to country music.  Back before it was cool for young people to listen to country music.  It was my parents' music.  Now I only listen to country music in my car.  The STP considers country music an oxymoron.  If he is in my car for more than a minute he changes the radio station.  Sometimes he changes the station when he is just walking by the car.  Rascal Flatts sings this song.  

I hope you never look back, but ya never forget,
All the ones who love you, in the place you left,
I hope you always forgive, and you never regret,
And you help somebody every chance you get,
Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake,
And you always give more than you take.

But more than anything, yeah, and more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.

It made me think of my girls on my way to work this morning.  I must confess that I have no idea who Rascal Flatts is.  I think he might look like Alfalfa from the Little Rascals--only flatter.  Of course I get Lady Gaga mixed up with Lady Antebellum, who evidently is not a lady at all, but a group of mostly men.  Go figure.  The reason I don't know these things is because my girls are gone.   They were the ones who kept me current.  Who kept me from embarrassing myself with my total lack of knowledge of all current culture things.  Like wearing Corona sandals to church camp.  Who knew?  They did, of course.  So while I do wish that their dreams stay big and that they know that I love them, my real wish is that they were closer.  I really miss them.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i miss you too :( and just for the record i think Lady A is way cooler than Lady Gaga. and Rascall Flatts is also a group of guys.