Saturday, January 29, 2011

One Way to Skin a Fish

In support of my daughter who is cooking and blogging bizarre foods this week, I documented my culinary exploits of the day.  I started the morning by making gluten free mixed berry walnut muffins.  They were good enough to eat.  Then I made dessert for tonight and put it in the fridge.
After work I made Chilean Sea Bass encrusted with Ginger Snaps served with a Kiwi Lime Sauce for supper.  With liberal substitutions.  Because I couldn't find any Chilean Sea Bass (or any other firm white fish as the recipe suggested), I had to substitute Meeteetse Lake Cutthroat Trout.  The STP caught them on his last ice fishing trip and they were already cleaned and in the freezer.  So they were Cold Fish from a Large Body of Water in an Exotic Place.   (See the similarity to Chilean Sea Bass?)
And because I wanted the ginger snap crumbs to be on the fish and not on the fish skin, I had the STP skin the fish.  With his fish skinner.  Which I bought him many years ago at a yard sale.  I am including a video of the fish skinner in action, in case you ever see one at a yard sale, you will know what it is and recognize it's tremendous value. 
And because the STP is gluten free, I used a bag of gluten free ginger snaps instead of baking my own.  And when it came to the kiwi lime sauce I pretty much substituted everything from the white wine to the fresh ginger (except the honey).   The appearance of the resulting sauce was less than appetizing.  (In fact, 'bile-like' may be an apt descripter.)  So I am not including any pictures of the sauce. 
 The end result was better than I expected. 
 
The sauce was a nice addition if you don't mind looking at bile sauce while you eat your fish. 

2 comments:

Abi said...

what is dad listening to while skinning his fish?

Amanda said...

abi - the song is soul tattoo.
mom - i am wicked impressed with the fish skinner!