Saturday, November 04, 2017

A (slightly less than) Favorable Day

"Let's get out of town," said the STP .   "Where no one can call us."
I wasn't feeling the same need, but a trip to the big town sounded good.
Not so fast.
In fact, not fast enough.  Calls before I was out of the shower.  Didn't get out of Dodge until just before lunch time.  Texts on the road.  Got tired, hungry, and cranky before we were done at StuffMart.  Calls before the car was unloaded.  Had just enough time for a little pity party while the STP made a hospital vist and I made soup for supper.  Calls after supper.  The STP hands me the phone.  "They want to talk to the female in the house."  Unfair?  Yes.  In my favor?  Let me think.
So let me start by being thankful that it is not my marriage in trouble. 
Thankful that the STP still holds my hand after 37.5 years of marriage. 
Thankful that I had enough money in my envelopes to pay my StuffMart bill and enough fresh food in the fridge to make soup. 
Thankful that I could fill a shoebox with things for a child who can't even imagine a StuffMart. 
Thankful that it is not my Mom in the hospital. 
Thankful for a call from a telephone surveyor from the Department of Health.  How many times in the last 12 months have I not had enough food?  Zero.  Has a doctor or healthcare worker ever told me I have diabetes?  No.  COPD?  No. Asthma?  No. Skin cancer?  No.  Any cancer?  No.   How much do I weigh?  No.   A seventeen minute phone call full of questions designed to remind me that I am surprisingly healthy with very little effort on my part. 
Unfair?  Yes.  In my favor?  Now that I think about it?  Yes.

No comments: