Friday, November 10, 2017

Returning the Favor

Chapter 4 of Philip Yancey's book Vanishing Grace starts with this quote from Lewis Hyde:
Between the time a gift comes to us and the time we pass it along, we suffer gratitude.
I'm not exactly sure what he means by that, but it has made me think.   And brought me to this thought later in the chapter:
Grace dispensers give out of their own bounty, in gratitude (a word with the same root as grace) for what we have received from God.
 So I am thinking that merely to feel grateful, or even express that gratitude verbally (or in writing), falls short of the mark.  And indeed, when I experience God's favor the proper response is to pass it on.  To share the blessing.  Which brings me to Raffi's words of wisdom:
It's mine, but you can have some
With you I'd like to share it.
'Cause if I share it with you,
You'll have some too.
What exactly does suffering gratitude mean?

While I ponder....
I am grateful for a bathtub, a bank, and a bowl of salad.
I am grateful for heat, hot water and combustion engines.
I am grateful for skin, sight, and sunshine.
I am grateful for faith, hope, and love.

I would be willing to share most of these things with you.  Except maybe the bathtub. 

No comments: