Monday, July 27, 2009

From The List

Category: Places to Go
Item crossed off: Medicine wheel

Back to the mountain this weekend to see the Medicine Wheel. An arrangement of rocks on top of the mountain. Arranged like a wagon wheel. Big circle with spokes. Unknown origin. Claimed to be of spiritual significance.


People leave 'offerings' here. Tied to the fence mostly. Saw a young woman while we were there pull out her hair and tie it to the rope. I didn't feel led to pull out my hair or tie anything to the rope. On the way back down the mountain we speculated about the origin of the wheel. I thought it might actually be the work of bored (or creative) Indian children. Some of my favorite children have been known to arrange rocks in circles. The Boog thought it was more likely some sort of work detail assigned by Indian mothers. "Make yourselves useful and move those rocks away from the campsite."
What was neat was to be as high as the clouds. We didn't even have to look up. We could see them moving and forming and we were so close to them. And I was thinking about how God can make things out of arrangements of tiny drops of water. Constantly changing shapes and colors. And hang them in the sky above our heads. And I was moved to worship. Our God is an awesome God. And just when I think I am totally in awe, He mixes in a little sunset and wind and pulls the clouds right down to the ground.
(Just for fun He added some lightning, but of course I didn't get a picture of that.)

1 comment:

Abi said...

wow He is awesome