Saturday, July 11, 2009

No Worms Were Harmed

Gracious Host: Do you have a fly fishing outfit?
Me: Do you mean ...like something to wear fly fishing?




Of course he meant a rod, reel, line, leader, flies, etc.
I had half of an outfit, because I was sharing one outfit with the STP. (Fly fishing outfits cost more that regular fishing poles--to discourage fly fishing. So we only invested in one before we actually tried it.) The gracious host loaned me an outfit. (Which was a good thing, because the STP was not good at sharing.) And then he taught me how to attach the leader to my line with a nail knot. And how to attach my fly to the end of the leader with another kind of knot. This is the first fly I attached myself. Then I chose another fly to put inside my hat. "Why?", you ask. In case my first fly ended up stuck in a tree.
And then the gracious host gave me a few pointers and moved on down the stream to find a spot to put the STP. Because you don't want to stand too close to someone who is learning to fly fish. So I waded out (ankle deep) into the ice cold stream. And I made my fly fly back and forth. And then I cast my fly onto the water, and made him float and jump about on top of the water. But I did not fool any trout into eating the fly. Which I think is what I was supposed to do. But I liked making the fly fly. And I did not get him stuck in a tree. And then I looked around and I was all by myself. And the birds were singing. And the stream looked like this.
And even though the stream was not good for fly fishing and none of us caught anything at all, I liked fly fishing. And I would do it again. So now I am using my Cabela's Card to buy groceries--to earn enough points to get my own fly fishing outfit. And I am giving up HGTV to watch fishing shows. And I'm going to learn to tie my own flies. And make a little nail with a groove in it to make nail knots easier to tie for flyfisherwomen with progressive lenses.
Maybe some day I'll have my own line of fly fishing outfits.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sam got a fly tying kit for his birthday... maybe once he learns he could teach you too :)