Friday, July 31, 2009

Pumpkin Pi 2

I am up late tonight baking a pie. It is my second pie in two days. Last night I made a practice pie. Tonight I am baking the real thing.
I'm not sure how I let myself get guilted into baking a pie. I was pretty clear when I moved here that I don't cook much and I cook pies never. However I have moved to a church that esteems pies somewhere between Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.
So I had everything I needed to make a cherry pie. I got the recipe online. With pictures. I pitted the cherries, mixed up a gluten free pie crust from scratch, measured and stirred and rolled and poured and baked. THREE HOURS LATER (!) I had a cherry pie that would serve 6 people on a diet and my kitchen looked like something had exploded in it. The blood red cherry juice stains spattered about were such a nice touch. I was going to get my camera so we could contrast the pictures of the pie baking process on line and the reality in my kitchen, but it was down by the computer and I was too exhausted to go up and down the stairs more than absolutely necessary. Suffice it to say that there is no way I could have a food blog. One of the elders stopped by while the pie was in the oven and I was complaining, er, lamenting that I had no desire to ever bake a pie and he said "Oh, we will change that." Oh, really? The pie looked pretty good, but I was so disheartened by the whole experience that I told the STP we would have to move.
The STP (who has no inclination to move) took the pie to the food booth and claimed tonight that it was wonderful pie and that there were way worse pies than mine and I so fell for it that tonight I am baking a gluten free pumpkin pie. (The pumpkin did not need pitted. In fact, it came out of a can.) So maybe the reason I am here is to learn how to bake pies. (Okay, Lord, but that still doesn't explain why I'm working at the bank.)
The reason that it is so late is that I had to go to the hog wrestling at the fair this evening. Maybe next year I will enter a pie in the fair.
Luke 1:37

2 comments:

Prairie Mama said...

I would love your church. (Although I am not so sure about the pastor and his wife)

And the next time we have a pie auction at Cody CMA will you make a few? : )

I think about our shooting date every day. I finally talked to hubby about making a plan too. Sometimes it takes him 3 weeks to answer me...so I might have to ask again. : )

Brenda's Man said...

The truth is both pies were delicious (I can personally vouch for that) but I know how difficult a process it is to clean up after ( I can also personally vouch for that)so although an occasional pie may be a good idea - opening a pie bakery would NOT be a good idea. I love my pie baker!