Saturday, April 03, 2010

Last Weekend's Project

I want to tell you about the project I did this weekend because it didn't cost me anything and it involved paint, but first I need to back up and show you last week's project. 
Remember last summer when my garden was as big as a flower pot?  And I promised the STP would build me a much bigger raised bed garden this year?  Well here is the beginning.  Sixteen square feet of potential garden.  According to all I have read about raised beds this should be adequate to feed 1/2 of one person for one season.  Or to grow two healthy tomato plants and two pepper plants and an onion. Or one zucchini plant. 
At any rate, it is a good beginning.  And the STP got to use his tools.  Like this corner vise he had to have last year to build the flower boxes.  And his cordless drill/screwdriver that his wonderful wife got him last year for Christmas so he could build her things like flower and garden boxes. 
And, then, because the STP is henpecked loves his wife so much, he added these little pretties on the front corners so they coordinate with her fence posts.
Sadly, when I went to paint the garden box, I discovered that the paint bucket was left in the garage over the winter, and had gone through several freeze thaw cycles.  The internet advised that if the frozen paint looks like cottage cheese when it thaws, it is no good.  So I just stirred it up as well as possible, let the curds settle to the bottom and used the whey to 'stain' my garden box.  Ta Da!

I went to the Co-op to inquire about vermiculite, but they did not have any.  Plus, it is snowing this weekend, so there is no hurry to plant anything.  I will update you when there is actually dirt and seeds/plants in my garden.  This year's watering system will be a bucket and a cup, but next on the STP's list is a compost box. 

And here is a little hint about my most recent project:  Any guesses?

3 comments:

MEL said...

Gas grill.....or home dentistry?

Abi said...

cleaned your dryer pipes?

Miss Brenda said...

Home dentistry. So close.