Saturday, December 21, 2013

Cuppa Tea Cookies

Tea Cookies--A traditional Welsh tea-time treat.  A raisin cookie with a spice taste.  Read that these can be eaten slathered with butter and served with tea.  Don't know how my dad never did that.  Slathering with butter has always been his MO.

Why I made these:  Feeling nostalgic.  My great grandma used to make these.  My dad loved these.  My mother learned to make these for my dad.  I think she found the recipe in the newspaper.  When my Grandpap visited, he would slip a few of these in his coat pocket on the way out the door.

Recipe I used:  My Mom's.  These can also be called Raisin Griddle Cakes even though she often made them with currants.  I looked for currants, but there were none to be found in Dodge City.  I substituted Pamela's gluten-free mix for the dry ingredients so the STP could eat them.

Roll them out.  Cut them round.  I have a round cookie cutter, but I used the top of a plastic tupperware cup.  Cause that's how it's done.
These cookies are not actually baked.  They are fried on a griddle.
When they get puffy they are ready to be turned over.
These gluten free cookies make the STP happy.  He has been eating them all week with his tea.  The Goob has not tried them.  They are certainly edible, but they are not the real thing.  They make me sad, because they remind me of my dad.  And I wish things were the same as they used to be.
Who will eat these:  Just the STP and me.  And you if you want to come over and have a cup of tea with us.   

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'll come for tea! Be right over!

nancyann said...

I have this recipe on a note card in Grandma Lane's own handwriting. Sarah has taken over the making of these and she always takes a tin full to her Pap.

Miss Brenda said...

Sarah is a wonderful person. No doubt her cookies are as well.