Saturday, December 21, 2013

Perfection Cookie #7


The Italian Pizzelle-- They are also known as Italian wafer cookies and there are various ways which to spell pizzelle such as "piazelle," "piazella," "pizzele" and "pizelle." The name comes from the Italian word "pizze" for round and flat.  In some parts of Italy, the irons would be made with family crests on them which would be passed down to each generation.

Why I made them:  A family tradition.  My Mom made these, but I think they may have originated in the family with my Aunt Rosemarie.  Who may have been Italian.  As far as I know, none of our irons has a family crest or have been passed down generation to generation.

The recipe I used:  This one that I saw and pinned on Pinterest.  Because it made a small batch.

The iron I used:  This one that has been in my cupboard for. ev. er. 

 The glitch was that I could not find the electrical cord.   So I had to postpone mixing and baking until the thrift store opened.  The STP scored two cords for a quarter, and then we were in business.
The dough seemed a little stiff to me, but since it has been for ev er since I have actually made these, I decided to trust the recipe instead of my memory.
The unfortunate thing about baking these is that you can only bake two at a time.  Good news--it only takes a little over a minute to bake them.
Also unfortunately, the first ones will stick to the iron.  You will have to scrape them out with a fork.  Clean the hot iron plates and try again.  At this point you will doubt the recipe, the ingredients, the process and your sanity.  Press on, my friend.  You can do this.
You can pass the time by making the dog dance for the broken messy pieces you scraped out.  The SLD was such a fan of the pizzelle that she stayed with me through the entire baking process.  Good dog.

Success.  I made mine small so they would fit in the little bags I bought for cookies.
Who ate them:  
The Goob.
Me
The Ladies at the the thrift shop who helped the STP find a cord.
Two teachers at the high school
One co-worker

1 comment:

nancyann said...

I think I threw my garage sale pizzelle iron in the garbage one year after attempting to make these!
Jim buys them at the store often.