Sunday, December 22, 2013

Wonderful, Wonderful

The Formerly-Known-as-Christmas Parade was last weekend.  Remember in 2010 we had a float.  And in 2011 we had a float.  Last year, we did not have a float.  I don't remember why. I guess the Spirit didn't move me. (More likely, I could not be moved.) But I do remember that the best float was the entry from the local saloon.  And God Himself, in His ever so gentle way, convicted me on the side of the very cold Main Street of Dodge City that we had missed a chance. A chance to participate.  To celebrate.  To tell the story.
So this year, I was on top of things.  On Friday the 13th I had the STP drop off our entry form.
What, the entry was due yesterday and the parade is tomorrow?  No problem.  I have an idea.
And a TV, some rabbit ears, and aluminum foil.
And I had 20 cents worth of silver icicles and a doily.
But more than that I had a family.
Who not only agreed to ride the float in their pajamas, they showed up early on Saturday to help put it together.  They had ideas of their own.  They had one of the biggest doses of unbridled enthusiasm I have encountered in my entire float history.
And Saturday night, I was watching from the side of the street as the parade went by.  And the saloon was well represented (a winner in the small business category).   But my Jesus was represented as well.  My Jesus Who sends angels to earth.  My Jesus Who knows the value of every individual.   My Jesus Who puts families back together.  My Jesus Who came that we might have life and have it to the full.  A wonderful life.
There you have it.  The first place float in the large business (?) category. 


And my favorite Wonderful Life quote:     "This old thing?  Why I only wear it when I don't care how I look."

1 comment:

Abi said...

you are considered a 'large business'?